Sunday, February 5, 2017

February 5-on-5 Documenting the Dancer


Getting ready for dance class has been a weekly routine of ours for five years.  Last week I realized that she has taken over almost all of her dance preparations herself.

I used to help her struggle into her tights (dislike is not a strong enough word for how she feels about those things.)  I would hold her leotard as she stepped into it. I would gather all her dance gear, a snack, and a bottle of water.  We would end our routine with me brushing her hair and pulling it back into a ponytail or bun.

This year things have changed.  She does everything by herself except her hair.  However, of late, she has even taken that job on.

I watched last week and realized rather abruptly of the changes that have so subtly taken place.  Her independence is shining through.  I adore her for it.  And although a part of me misses the days when she needed me a bit more, I wouldn't trade this time for anything.




5-on-5 with a 6th photo as an added bonus, because it was a big part of the story.

 For more amazing documentary photography about life, love, memories, and family head on over to Melissa Kayser: A St. Charles, MO Documentary Family Photographer.


7 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny!!! These are perfect!! I love them so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jenny! I really love this story. My favorites are the shot of her in the car, and putting on her ballet slipper. And I gotta admit, it was comforting hearing you say that even though you miss her needing you more, you wouldn't trade it for anything. I worry about those days approaching, and it's reassuring to hear that it will be ok. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! I have always tried to keep the perspective that if they don't grow and change and become independent, then I haven't done my momma job well. I embrace each stage as it comes and try to enjoy everything that those stages bring with them.

      Delete
  3. Love the close up of the ballet slipper... What a dedicated dancer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! How time does fly!! I love the hairspray photo - it shows just how independent she is! Isn't it wonderful when they grow up beautifully independent, still knowing that we're always there for them!

    ReplyDelete

 
All images © Sycamore Lane Photography. All rights reserved.

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs