Thursday, December 15, 2016

Brand New- A Storytelling Session- Hillsdale, Michigan Documentary Photographer

I met Colin and Aby when they hired me for a maternity session in August.  They were the happiest, most easy going couple I have ever photographed.  They joked and snuggled and laughed the entire time.  They made my job delightful.

So, when I received a text in October that their precious baby girl had made her appearance I was thrilled.  I wasn't expecting to here about her birth, but here was a client sharing her joy with me.  This is how I want all of my clients to respond.  I want to be a part of their joy and memories. It is why I do storytelling sessions.

When I read the text that Aby sent me, I knew I wanted to document this time of having a newborn for them.  It is only for a little while and parts of those early days fade from our memories too quickly. I told Aby, I just wanted them to be themselves, not to worry about what their house looked like or what they were wearing.

I was excited when she took me at my word! Too often clients think they need to dress up, coordinate their family, and have their home immaculate when all I really want is to record who they are in the every day. Colin was still in his PJ's after being up all night due to multiple feedings, burpings, and general fussiness of his little daughter. Aby was not dressed to the nines, but instead had comfortable clothes on and no makeup. Their home was clean, but not picked up and organized to perfection.  It was them, in their home, just as they are in this moment in time.

It was life and tiredness, newness and learning, hormones and lots of love all wrapped up in a new little family.

It was perfection!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Jenny! We absolutely love our photos, and are so glad we had you come do this session. It's already kind of hard to remember those early days, and having these photos helps so much. It was wonderful working with you, and we're definitely looking forward to hiring you again in the future!

    ReplyDelete

 
All images © Sycamore Lane Photography. All rights reserved.

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs