Tuesday, December 5, 2017

December 5-on-5: Trimming the Tree

Every year I purchase a new Christmas ornament for each of my children, so that from the time of their very first Christmas to their eighteenth, they garner a pretty little collection that they will someday use on their own tree in their own home.
By far, my daughter, has been the most enthusiastic ornament lover in our family. Her excitement each year as she goes through her box of ornaments elicits memories of my sisters and I gathered around our very own boxes ohhhing and ahhhing over the ornaments our mom had hand picked for each of us. I remember the excitement I always felt when we would begin the Christmas decorating and nothing was better than going slowing through my box of ornaments enjoying every single one like they were brand new treasure.
This year the tree decorating was left to just 3 of us, but Lauren couldn't stand not having her two older brothers' ornaments on the tree, so she went through their boxes, too, exclaiming with joy over each one that was her "favorite". 
Our tree decorating definitely has different dynamics these days, but I'm completely thankful for the joy Lauren brings and the child-like wonder. It is a good reminder of days gone by and of new to come.
 To see more un-posed photography that documents daily life in 5 photos head on over to the wonderful Amy Thelen, a Portland, Oregon Family Photographer



4 comments:

  1. My mom did the same thing for me and I am doing the same for my boys. It was a way to make that first Christmas away from home a little more special. Your images brought back so many memories of myself going through our box as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy new ornaments for the kids each year as well! I absolutely adore this tradition and hope that they will treasure these memories like your daughter does for many decades to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is our tradition as well and I LOVE it! We even have our ornaments wrapped in old paper towels and newspaper and carefully stored in shoeboxes of yesteryear. So thankful you have these lovely images and beautiful memories for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about how much different Christmas tree decorating will be when my girls are grown. I'll be so sad when they loose all of that excitement! It's so much fun. But you documented this beautifully. I love it. And I need to start buying my girls new ornaments every year. It's such a fun tradition! My Mother in law did that for her kids, and my husband's ornaments are mostly all we have. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
All images © Sycamore Lane Photography. All rights reserved.

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs