Tuesday, September 5, 2017

September 5-on-5: The Braces Edition


Last month Lauren's braces adventure began.  For weeks she had a mountain of questions and what if's. So when the actual day arrived there was a little anxiety due to the unknown. I could tell she was a bit nervous about the whole procedure and the resulting hardware that she would have in her mouth.

If it had just been braces I don't think she would have been so unsure, but because of some bite issues she has she ended up needing a herbst appliance along with the braces.  It was that added hardware that made her question.

Thankfully the staff is wonderful at her orthodontist's office.  They made her feel very welcome and assured her that it wasn't going to be bad.  Our time went quickly and an hour later she had the beginnings of her new smile.

Now almost a month later, she has adjusted to having a whole lot of metal in her mouth.  It wasn't as bad as she had imagined (she has an amazing pain tolerance) and she knows that even though it isn't the easiest thing to get used to, she will see the benefits of it down the road.






 For more storytelling images continue the circle by visiting my friend Melissa who is a St. Charles, MO documentary family photographer.


4 comments:

  1. I've been there with braces and an expander. I still remember the pain from my mom having to crank it open another notch each night. She looks adorable with braces and she will totally love being able to change the colors for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you took these. I missed my daughter's first visit to the dentist and now we all go at the same time, so I always miss it. These will be good memories for her to look back on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister in law had the herbst appliance as well as many years of orthodontia, so I can relate in a bystander sort of way. Your daughter looks adorable and I bet she's so proud of herself for facing this challenge with both feet firmly on the ground!

    ReplyDelete

 
All images © Sycamore Lane Photography. All rights reserved.

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs