Saturday, August 5, 2017

July 5-on-5:::Southern Michigan Documentary Photographer

Last month, after many months of planning and money saving. My sister and I took our daughters to the American Girl Store in Columbus, Ohio.  Both of our girls had been saving money for this very special day.  Neither of them had ever been to an American Girl doll store.  In fact, it was only the second time my daughter had ever been to a mall.  As country girls, we just don't have much use for the mall scene, but I have to admit this mall was like nothing I have ever seen.  It was beautifully laid out.  It was like driving through a ritzy subdivision only with fancy stores instead of houses.  I even caught a glimpse of a Tiffany's!  I couldn't imagine setting a foot in such a fancy store.




Lauren, had saved her money so that she could get her doll's ears pierced. She was hoping to have enough left over to be able to buy something else too. 



Sticker shock set in pretty quickly and she was a little overwhelmed and frustrated. Trying to choose what to buy was difficult with her limited funds.



In the end though, after much deliberation, she made her purchases with her hard earned money.  She now has a day to place into her memory bank.  A time when she learned about money and brand names and how she could probably buy something similar from another doll company for less.  But, she also learned that special trips like this are a treasure and something to be thankful for.




Next up in the blog circle is the lovely Erin. Erin is a Lancaster County Family Photographer. Head over to her blog to see the story she tells this month with her five photos.

5 comments:

  1. What a hard lesson to learn too. One I remember learning around that age... also with American Girl dolls. I so desperately wanted one the looked like me, and I would flip through that catalog and dream. It can be a painful lesson, I think moreso for girls, but it's an important one! Great job Momma!!! These images capture that day so well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! Olivia loves her AG dolls and we often get her accessories and clothing from Target, but I know she would LOVE to check out the store one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sticker shock photograph. What an honest expression you captured. It's my favorite from the set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her sweet little look of frustration. We just got our first AG doll and it is certainly an experience. So glad you got the pictures to hold on to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely compositions and story! That'll be fun to look back on someday!

    ReplyDelete

 
All images © Sycamore Lane Photography. All rights reserved.

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs